3.15.2010

career mom ... travel guilt ...


Last week I spent the week in Colorado, working as I do every 6-8 weeks or so.  It made me think of some things that I’ve learned over the last 4 years of a periodic traveling career mom.  Hope you can relate. 

1. 
I leave gifts to remind them of me every day - they aren’t big gifts, mostly books, or things that I’d get them at target or the grocery store anyway - but then they have something to look forward to every day that I’m gone.

2.  I write each of them a very personal note.
  - Ok ... I’m not one of those people that wishes tragedy on myself but we live in a bit of a scary world & with airline & car crashes that happen - I just never want my husband or kids to ever to question how I felt about them should something happen.  Also in my mind if I’m overly prepared for something like that - then it won’t happen, right.  Fingers crossed. 

3.  I stock up on all of the necessities before I leave.  - My husband is a GREAT dad ... but he doesn’t always remember all of the little treats, diapers, etc that are needed on a weekly basis.  I always try to remember to stock up before I leave.  Since I travel regularly it also helps keep me organized. 

4.  I organize outfits & layout everything and anything they need.  - Again, my husband is a great dad ... but it’s a lot caring for 2 crazy little ones for a week. 

5.  I always pick up something small when I’m traveling for each of the kids.  - I know this can turn into a crazy habit if I continue to travel, but I try to keep the things  very small and wherever possible I’ll pick up edible treats (that way it doesn’t add to the clutter and then they still have to “earn” it to eat it). 




 p.s.  still learning this blogging stuff ... and didn’t really have access to a company-free internet so I’ll have to take other measure when I go next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment